Thursday, January 7, 2010

Benjamin the Bunny



We have been asked to 'bunnysit' a rabbit for a few days while it's owners are on the coast of Kenya. The kids are more than thrilled. This bunny is hand fed, fought over and loved. If only we would have known that for Mollie's most memorable experience we could have stayed in Canada and only spent 25$.

Today I (Dana) had the privilege of visiting 'Amani Ya Juu', a sewing-marketing-training project for marginalized women in Africa. It is a peaceful setting with a store, outdoor cafe and large building where all the sewing is done. I met women from Rwanda, Burundi, Mozambique, Kenya, Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda and Somalia, all who are benefiting from the project. I saw a room with many sewing machines, huge windows, and couches where they have their morning prayer time. I saw peace quilts being made and women just enjoying working together. What a blessing this place is for women who have survived numerous different tragedies. After four years of training, they are equipped to start businesses of their own. I did not bring my camera but I think I will remember this place of peace in the center of Nairobi.

1 comment:

  1. Dana what a great experience--perhaps you will come home with practical ways we can truy help these women--I love the mix of countries & the coming together of women to work together--I can hardly wait to talk to you about this in more detail
    You are taking some great pics &
    we love reading each one's perspective
    luv Mom

    ReplyDelete